Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tearing and stitching .......

I have been enjoying tearing fabrics and stitching this week....enjoying the relaxed pace of the Magic Diaries workshop I am doing with Jude Hill.  The pace is relaxed, the stitching gentle and the interaction with Jude and other cloth mates is just lovely.

I am enjoying working with the earthy tones below...very Australian colours (fabrics...one is a vintage japanese kimono fabric and the other a hand dyed fabric from my recent trip to Thailand).


my stitching this week


The torn strips were for my fabric weaving and I have added the stitched moon.  At the moment this block is just basted down,  but more stitching will appear as this cloth evolves.  I dont want to add too much stitching/embellishing as yet as I'm not sure where this is going and will add more once it has grown a bit and I can see the story more clearly.



I have noticed that quite a few of the cloth mates have incorporated their own symbol for this quilt....something personal to them.  I have decided to make the above heart (without Jude's feather) my personal symbol for this quilt.  This stylised heart shape is one that I found  I use repeatedly in my journal, so I thought that as this quilt will also be a type of journal I will stitch a version for this quilt and repeat it throughout.  


I do love fabric weaving and the torn edges give such an organic look to cloth.  Again I have used the old kimono fabric and the hand dye from Thailand.  I enjoyed stitching the ragged cross stitches in my moon, reminds me of the stitch used in boro cloths to strengthen a cloth.

sweet bird song

While I was stitching away yesterday I could hear the most beautiful bird song outside (click for a closer view).  This fellow was serenading me outside my kitchen windown...having a wonderful time!  It was nice to stand and watch his antics for a while....I think he is quite the extovert warbling away, loving having an audience.  I might have to sketch him later.

Off to work again tomorrow....I count down those three days until I am home again and stitching/painting.

Jude has been talking about edges these past couple of weeks,  so I thought this quote from Sark fitting...

DANCE
ON 
THE  EDGES
OF NEW
BEGINNINGS

-SARK-

Jacky xox

19 comments:

Judy Martin said...

I like the idea of using the heart as your signature in this journal like piece. Looking forward to its progress, Jacky.

Nat Palaskas said...

Jacky these blocks are gorgeous. I love the heart feather. I haven't been following the lesson very closely. Busy busy these last few days. You will know why after 9:00 PM tonight - Hugs Nat

Sharon Tomlinson said...

A very nice beginning to your cloth. The colors are so peaceful to me.

Elizabeth said...

Your stitchings are so wonderful Jacky!! I love the torn edge piece!!! I think the heart is the PERFECT personal symbol for you, sweet one!!
Hugs!

deanna7trees said...

love that moon stitching. great quote.

Linda Vincent said...

Bet it feels lovely, holding those fabrics whilst you're stitching. Ah...the pleasures of life :-)
Love your heart symbol.
XX

Mary Stanley said...

Love all your stitching...and such soft lovely fabric. A sweet heart for a sweet soul! Always a delight visiting your blog!
Loved the photo of your kitty!

Jen Crossley said...

Jacky your blocks look amazing love the heart.

Joe Madl said...

absolutely beautiful and inspiring, jacky! i, too, have been following jude's magic cloth whisperings, though have not had the opportunity to put needle to cloth or to participate in any way as my life has been too hectic lately. it is wonderful, however, to drink in the beauty that you and others are creating there! thank you!

Karen said...

the fabric weaving is beautiful, very gentle.

Peggy Beck said...

I love your symbol and the weaving of material too. It looks and sounds so relaxing Jacki. What a pretty bird. We don't have anything like that here in upstate NY. Wish we did. Thanks for sharing.

Peggy said...

Jacky, those pieces are both so wonderful. I love your heart symbol and the fact that it truly is yours. I hope I realize one, too, but haven'thought about it much yet--and your gorgeous weaving makes me crave stripping again! Great quote! What does SARK's name stand for? I used to know but forgot...

Robin Olsen said...

So soft and comforting! Looks like a perfect place for secrets of the heart. I'm eager to see how this develops into a diary.

Anonymous said...

i wrote a comment to you earlier...wonder where i left it? anyhow, do love your weaving, the fabrics remind me of tree barks & so glad to see the moon enlarged showing the criss-crosses. and what is that bird?

rivergardenstudio said...

Yes, I agree with everyone here. Your heart looks like an apple cut in half so that you can see the core, and your rough-edged weaving is so lovely, and that bird(!)what is it??? You should sketch it and then stitch it into a piece.... Hope your week at work is going well. And that you are home again stitching and painting soon. roxanne

Morna Crites-Moore said...

Beautiful work! I love your cloth weaving color choices. Working with Jude is the best. I'm hoping to get working on a feather ... I loved taking one of her classes ... lucky you!

deanna7trees said...

just saw your gorgeous felted piece on Nat's blog. came over here hoping you posted about it. i guess i'll have to wait.

MulticoloredPieces said...

I came over from Nat's blog too, hoping to see your felted piece. But I'll settle on your fabric weaving and heart embroidery! Very subtle and lovely.
best, nadia

Dot said...

Your stitching is always so peaceful and soothing Jacky. I love the time and effort you take in your creations. And your heart shines through.
Dot xx
P.S Love the pic of the Magpie. The sound of a magpie warbling is a beautiful sound isn't it?