Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bits and pieces.....

What I'm really enjoying with this slow cloth is that I can just pick it up and stitch away whenever I have a moment...with limited time this week I have finished stitching my fabric onto my night sky (but there will be further stitching to come). I have started doing some random cross stitching on the beautiful dyed flannel. I think I will make some areas quite dense with cross stitches and others very sparse as I dont want to hide all the wonderful colours. I am using a beautiful variegated thread that is hand dyed by a local Gippsland lady. I am liking how the thread works with the wool flannel
I've also been stitching these two little fellows (as you can see a couple of WIP's, still a ways to go). I have made the taller version of my owls this time and I am thinking I might make a different set of wings for the other fellow...try something different.
I am still doing some 10minute collages (although not as often as I was) and it is 'surprising' what appeals to you some days as flick through old magazines. Click to enlarge.
I was really taken with the quote from Barack Obama:
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time.
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
We are the change that we seek."
Very wise words.

Well I am off on a road trip this week! Looking forward to it with great anticipation. I have a couple of friends coming from interstate for an annual Art Retreat get together. They are flying in a bit early to do a class with the lovely Ro Bruhn on Saturday and then Sunday we plan to go to the Camberwell market .... I am hoping to find some old fabrics or linens. And afterwards we are off to Castlemaine / Daylesford area for a bit of sightseeing, shopping and relaxation for two days. Wonderful galleries, shops and spa's.
Wednesday is the beginning of the Art Retreat, so I will drop the girls off (I am not doing the retreat this year). Myself and couple of other friends are going along for the vendors night and dinner so I will get to catch up with some friends I have made over the years.
Back next week...so meantime I hope you all have a busy creative time while I am away.
Jacky xox

25 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So glad that you are still doing your ten minute collages- you are soooo very good at them- love this one!!!
Barack is an amazing man and he is working so hard to get people to work together- I fear that he will give up!! He is one of my heros!!
Have a great week of bopping about= hope taht you find some treasures and hug Ro for me when you see her!!!!

Patti G. said...

Your owls are fantastic Jacky! I love seeing them come to life through your stitching and vintage fabrics and threads! Wheeee!!!
Hugs,Patti

Caterina Giglio said...

Hi Jacky! so glad your sis liked the piece! thanks again! if you get a chance, go to my blog for a giveaway!
I love your slow cloth piece and the thread is divine, does she sell it? oh and your weekend sounds fabulous, so much to look forward to wish I could come and play!

ArtPropelled said...

You are so good to be keeping up with your 10 minute collages. Mine have lapsed to about 2 to 3 a month but I am going to change that soon! Sounds like a great time with the girls coming up. I wonder if you will take your slow cloth? Have a great time Jacky! Lots of laughter, I bet!

Sharon Tomlinson said...

How lucky you are to be road triping with ARTful frinds.
I really like the cross stitching on the wool.

Catherine V. Bainbridge said...

That cotton thread is just gorgeous! What does it mean to be a Gippsland lady?

Wow, sounds like you are off for an exciting time. Wish I had a few markets to troll around looking for treasures.

Yes, nnice words from Barack. Hope it doesn't end there!

Take care. Enjoy your adventure. Look forward to hearing about it when you get back.

Love those owls!

Angela said...

Your owls are wonderful, so pretty with those lovely heart shaped faces

Gaye Todd said...

Love your owls Jacky and had a smile when I saw your collage, my daughter Nat makes collages like this all the time in her art journal! Loved the colours.... have fun next week!

Robin Olsen said...

I am in love with your owls! Have a wonderful road trip--sounds like fun.

Julia said...

Hello!

Those owls are rather good aren't they?! I like them very much! Sounds like you have some lovely plans ahead, hope you enjoy yourself!

Sending love
Julia x x x

Mary Stanley said...

Love your bright and cheerful owls!
Working on "yours" right now.

jo horswill said...

Hi Jacky,
Just love your slow cloth...yes you are inspiring me here :)
What a weekend you have ahead of you. Did you know Camberwell Primary is having thier annual fete on Sunday too...my neices go to that school and I will be there :)
Have a great time with Ro...love Jo xx

Jeana Marie said...

such gorgeous owls...and the thread is beautiful...have a good weekend!

gerfiles said...

Hey, hope you had a nice trip... - you´ve won 1 of my Virtual Vouchers - please let me have your e-mail and address, so when you use it I´ll be aware you´re the one...!
PS. I´m very fond of your stitching + owls...

Deborah said...

Love the owls!

Sandra said...

You work is so lovely! I'm fond of your owls! What a beautiful yarn. Have a nice trip!

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Your slow cloth is very beautiful Jacky. I like the softly dyed pieces and those lovely variegated threads. Your owls are charming too. I hope you have/had a good week away with your friends. It was very sad to read about Ro's Mum

Hugs and blessings
Carolyn xo

Jen xo said...

your slow cloth is going to be wonderful and the little owls so cute...
have fun with your blogging friends....

Karen said...

I hope you had a lovely, creative and restful time with your friends. Or does the creative bit negate the restful bit???

Anonymous said...

So sad you will not be there..

*sigh*

Linda Vincent said...

Sorry I'm a bit late Jacky.
Hope you had a wonderful time with your friends.....make sure you tell us all about it!
Your owls are as gorgeous as ever; you just make me want to create one too.
Hugs
Linda x

Jan said...

Hi, I jumped over from Lynne's blog and noticed you were at 99 followers. I decided I should become #100. I have visited your blog many times and now I will do so more often, you do such lovely and colorful work!

JRonson said...

I'm super impressed, i'm waiting to see more creative work from u :D

Debrina said...

Hi Jacky - I forgot to tell you two things (speaking of your little owls, which are looking just dandy here, btw). 1) my friends all love the one you made me and one friend was so inspired she made her own! 2) Your owl stars on my latest posting!

I so need to do 10min collages - what a good way to keep the skills fresh!

Catharina Maria said...

Oh , I love your little fellows very much !
♥ Rini ♥